Home / Lifestyle / Reading Lounge
Five Things You Need To Know This Saturday Morning
- By: Maktoub Magazine
- August 6, 2016
1. President Muhammadu Buhari has pointedly told Nigerians that the change he promised during the election campaign would not happen over night. Speaking at the Graduation Ceremony of Course 24 of the National Defence College, Abuja, the President noted that though it will not be easy, he is determined to live up to his promises, adding that it would surely come but not as easy as many had expected.
2. Embattled Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has insisted that he has no reason to resign from his position. Dogara, who had a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the State House, Friday in Abuja, described the current budget padding allegations hanging around his neck as no offence, asserting that despite the many allegations against him and his office, he will remain in his position.
3. Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo set many tongues wagging on Friday after he made a surprise appearance at the Shehu Yar’Adua Centre, Abuja, venue of the inauguration of the Peoples Democratic Party national convention committee. On sighting him, leaders of the PDP rushed to pay homage. Incidentally, Obasanjo was at the venue to attend a programme on Agriculture.
4. The Arewa Youth Integrity Forum (AYIF) has called on Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State to apologise to Nigerians and Mrs. Aisha Buhari over his claim that president’s wife was a fugitive from justice in the US over the Halliburton scandal. AYIF national president, Comrade Abubakar Ibrahim said the visit by the President’s wife was a clear indication that Fayose lied in his claim and that he bury his head in shame and apologise to the first family.
5. Ahead of the October 11 general elections in Zambia, former President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday, departed Nigeria for the country. He is leading the African Union Elections Observation Mission, AUEOM.